Monday, May 2, 2011

a day in the life of a young urban farmer

a somewhat typical day for us...
First things first...check on the chickens. Ours are still living indoors (until May 13) (can't wait), so these are our neighbor's.
Next, grab your tools and get ready to play in the dirt. I mean, to garden.
The fruit of my our labor. 
he LOVES this job!

Now we head off into the neighborhood for some fun. 
Checkin in with Samantha (the neighbor) and Bola (the puppy). Bola was WAY too excited about seeing Koze. Such a friendly puppy.  

Favorite stop on our street...the tree swing. Although he's not a fan of actually swinging on it. Just likes to push it. 

Koze came across a couple apple slices and insisted on having them to eat.  (I didn't let him) Instead we walked down to Whole Foods and grabbed some dinner....
And we feasted. Especially Koze. 
Today, like most days, was simple and sweet. We are definitely loving this warmer weather.

So this weekend I had a couple of discussions with my landlords about the possibility of getting some goats for our backyard. I had been so nervous to suggest it but when I finally did on Saturday they were surprisingly enthusiastic about the idea and even brought it up again Sunday saying they had continued thinking about it the night before and felt like it was a great idea AND they would even be willing to help out with the responsibility of caring for them. Of course this was the kind of response I was hoping for, but definitely not expecting. This summer and fall will be great with the fresh eggs and veggies from our garden...and I am over the top excited about the idea of adding fresh milk to the mix next year. If you're not a fan of goats milk you should try to get your hand on some that is fresh...so much better than anything you can get at any grocery store. Plus, how can you not want these guys running around your backyard...

Thanks to Lindsey for sending me this :)

Hopefully by this time next year we will have some new additions to our little urban farm here in the Hollywood neighborhood.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could hang out with you guys every day. I want to munch on Koze's belly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His belly is pretty great. especially after he's had a big meal. :) We are excited to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete